"Hear my prayer, O Lord; let not my soul faint under thy discipline, nor let me faint in confessing unto thee thy mercies, whereby thou hast saved me from all my most wicked ways till thou shouldst become sweet to me beyond all the allurements that I used to follow. Let me come to love thee wholly, and grasp thy hand with my whole heart that thou mayest deliver me from every temptation, even unto the last. And thus, O Lord, my King and my God, may all things useful that I learned as a boy now be offered in thy service--let it be that for thy service I now speak and write and reckon. For when I was learning vain things, thou didst impose thy discipline upon me: and thou hast forgiven me my sin of delighting in those vanities. In those studies I learned many a useful word, but these might have been learned in matters not so vain; and surely that is the safe way for youths to walk in."~St. Augustine's Confessions

But how?

I am always tripped up by the question "How?" When brainstorming, my friend, the Queen of Brainstorms, has to consistently remind me that we are in a safe Brainstorm Bubble because otherwise I will throw idea after idea under the bus. I have been dubbed "The Bus" on several occasions because I quickly see the flaws with the idea and point them out quite readily. Perhaps not very conducive to free thought, but I tend to think it sometimes pushes us to ideas that will actually work as opposed to setting us up for failure. I'm always looking for the "how" it will work and "how" we can do it.

The very big "con" side to this way of thinking, however, is that I often stop myself dead in my tracks from pursuing something I really want to pursue. The word "HOW?" in glaring neon lights blinds my future-gazing eyes, and I turn around, walking away in lengthening shadows.

Sometimes I am empowered by "How?" I see the many challenges and I rise to meet them. Other times I run that bus back and forth over the idea until it's flattened of all its life.

I actually think that sometimes being stopped by the "How?" is God's way of protecting me and keeping me in His timing. Sometimes it's His way of saying, "Watch how I am going to do this!" Though, of course, sometimes it's just plain fear of failure.

Yesterday, though, God spoke something very clearly to my heart that I just have to cling to. He is so precious. I love when He speaks to me.

I was idly thinking about the whole "How?" issue when He said, " 'How?' is not the question. Neither is 'Why?' or 'What?' or Where?' When I give you a vision, I give you the 'What' and the 'Where'. The 'Why' is My glory and I am 'How.' The only question that remains is 'Who?' Who will I work through? Who will submit to My will? Who will seek and answer My voice? Will YOU be the 'Who' and let ME be the 'How'???"

I almost had to pull to the side of the road (I was driving) I was so thunderstruck and convicted. Asking "How?" with skepticism and doubt is not walking in faith.

I feel a heart shift taking place. As God continues to reveal Himself to be the How in my life, I want to constantly offer myself up to be His Who. And really, the only "Where" I want to be is in His presence.

Psalm 91
Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God
1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler[a]
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

0 comments: