"Hear my prayer, O Lord; let not my soul faint under thy discipline, nor let me faint in confessing unto thee thy mercies, whereby thou hast saved me from all my most wicked ways till thou shouldst become sweet to me beyond all the allurements that I used to follow. Let me come to love thee wholly, and grasp thy hand with my whole heart that thou mayest deliver me from every temptation, even unto the last. And thus, O Lord, my King and my God, may all things useful that I learned as a boy now be offered in thy service--let it be that for thy service I now speak and write and reckon. For when I was learning vain things, thou didst impose thy discipline upon me: and thou hast forgiven me my sin of delighting in those vanities. In those studies I learned many a useful word, but these might have been learned in matters not so vain; and surely that is the safe way for youths to walk in."~St. Augustine's Confessions

Oh Great God, Be Small Enough To Hear Me Now


A few days ago someone asked me, "Why did you choose to believe in God and Jesus?" What a good question for someone to ask.

My answer? I didn't choose Him; He chose me.

Somehow this great, awesome Being decided that He loved me enough to forget every bad thing I've ever done and love me just as I am. Me. Me who messes up, who makes mistakes, who is selfish, vain, angry, and bitter at times, who rejects His mercy and does things my own way, who forgets how very blessed I am and instead complains, who can't seem to be consistent. Me.

Where can I go to get away from God? There are times when I want to. I want to run as far as I can, hide as deep as I can, and ignore the ever present Love that can see me wherever I am, that runs down the road ahead of me to greet me when I think I've escaped.

I live in a country where I don't have to fear for my life because of my beliefs. I can openly read my Bible, worship, and speak about God and what He's done for me. I can fellowship with other like-minded people and learn from a pastor every Sunday. I can pray in secret or in public, for myself or for someone else. My money says, "In God We Trust."

So why do I take it all for granted? Why do I ignore this awesome God who is so available to me? Why do I treat my faith as an addition to my life instead of the core of my life?

We were driving in the mountains yesterday toward a little mountain town. The road was closed so we were forced to take a detour. I am rather grateful for the detour. It was the most spectacular drive I've personally ever driven. We were surrounded by mountains, on top of mountains, sandwiched by mountains. The air was cooler and thinner; literally breathtaking. I was overwhelmed by the vastness of the mountain range. They are so big! I was in awe that God could create something so grand. It made me think of the oceans, forests, and deserts I've seen. They are all so grand. I think that God created these grand examples to show us His very nature: He is grander and greater than we can ever imagine. His ways are so much higher than ours. How deep, how great is His love for us. There's a song by Matthew West, "More," that says:

Take a look at the mountains
Stretching a mile high
Take a look at the ocean
Far as your eye can see
And think of Me

Take a look at the desert
Do you feel like a grain of sand?
I am with you wherever
Where you go is where I am

And I'm always thinking of you
Take a look around you
I'm spelling it out one by one

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
I love you yesterday and today
And tomorrow, I'll say it again and again
I love you more.
That song made so much sense to me yesterday. And yet it confused me more than ever. Here I am, a little insignificant person that God is inviting to spend eternity with Him. Why would He want ME? What is my value to Him?

And then it struck me.

I am His creation. He made me. And He wants to keep His creation near Him forever.

It's a little much for my mind to fathom. He's so big, I'm so small. But I'm so glad He chose me.

The next question asked of me was, "What if you believe all of this and then find out it's not real?"

My answer: "First of all, I do believe it's real, so I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. Secondly, it will have been worth it to have lived a life of peace, joy, and love, caught up in the grandness of the world."

Oh Great God, be small enough to hear me now. Make yourself real to me and to those who can't seem to find you. Your wonders speak of Your greatness. But Lord, be small enough to hear me now.

Click below for a wonderful song on the matter.
Small Enough

4 comments:

Anonymous said... / August 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Is this comment thing working yet?

Kathy said... / August 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

As I tried to say, keep writing Na as I need to hear what you have to say. I believe that the youth can inspire those of us who are older. We tend to forget the true joy of knowing and loving God and need a reminder every now and then.

JFK said... / August 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Love it!

Anonymous said... / January 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM  

Smashing blog! I genuinely leaning how it' s mild on my eyes as well as the info are expertly written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a stylish record has been made. I own subscribed to your rss gratified which should do the dodge! Have a punctilious daytime!
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]