"Hear my prayer, O Lord; let not my soul faint under thy discipline, nor let me faint in confessing unto thee thy mercies, whereby thou hast saved me from all my most wicked ways till thou shouldst become sweet to me beyond all the allurements that I used to follow. Let me come to love thee wholly, and grasp thy hand with my whole heart that thou mayest deliver me from every temptation, even unto the last. And thus, O Lord, my King and my God, may all things useful that I learned as a boy now be offered in thy service--let it be that for thy service I now speak and write and reckon. For when I was learning vain things, thou didst impose thy discipline upon me: and thou hast forgiven me my sin of delighting in those vanities. In those studies I learned many a useful word, but these might have been learned in matters not so vain; and surely that is the safe way for youths to walk in."~St. Augustine's Confessions

Creative Meltdown

I must confess I don't feel very creative. I feel like an imitation. I appear to be writing only melodramas that really have no place in American or Christian theatre.

I ache so badly to be writing something from my heart, to write something that will transform someone else's life.

Why am I blank?

Why am I dry?

Why can I only write low quality junk??

Sigh.

2 comments:

Kathy said... / November 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM  

Oddly, when I read either of your blogs, I am transformed. Actually, I am encouraged, tested and pushed. Then I'm frustrated, but reassured that it's not to late. That I still have things to say, to write. If it only touches one person, at least it hasn't been for not!
So keep writing, as I need to be reminded to do the same!!!!

Anonymous said... / July 20, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

The best writing is uncomfortable to write. It exposes one's deepest fears and worries and questions, explores one's flaws. At the same time, though, it affirms one's deepest and most meaningful convictions (and perhaps helps to discover what these are!). It cannot be veiled in sentimentality, cannot be bogged down by too many words or pretenses: it must be one's essence.